World of Mara
The Dimming refers both to the specific act, taken by a group of powerful beings (both mortal and Ascended) to end save Mara from invasion by outsiders in The Age of Heroes and to it's continuing effects.
Facing the possibility that Mara could become a realm of eternal nightmares, an alliance of Gods, Ascendants, and powerful mortals took action. It is unknown exactly what they were trying to achieve, or how they went about it, but the effects at least, were quite clear – they created the Dimming.
The Dimming greatly reduced the force of magic upon the world of Mara by blocking it’s connections with the other planes. Every gateway on Mara ceased to function. The blockage was not total – lesser magics continued to function but the most powerful spells and magical abilities simply ceased to function. Some communication, by means of the lesser magics, was possible with the planes and the gods but travel between Mara and any of the planes was impossible by any means. The invaders, hampered by the same loss of magical power as everyone else, and cut off from reinforcements, were eventually defeated.
In Game Effects
- Gateways do not function.
- Travel, by any means, to other planes of existence is impossible.
- While the Dimming remains in place, spells of greater than 5th level do not function.
- Summoning spells and spells that allow communication with other planes of existence still work. (All summoning effects/spells that summon things or beings from another plane of existence are temporary effects. If the spell or effect would normally be permanent or have a duration longer than 24 hours, its duration is instead reduced to 24 hours).
- Only consumable magical items can be created – potions, scrolls and the like, with 5th level or lower spell effects. Permanent magical items (a +1 long sword for example) cannot be created, but ones created before the Dimming still work. Magic items that normally would produce spells or spell-like effects of greater than 5th level do not do so.